Annually, the American Association of Orthodontics (AAO) helds a meeting in a different city for orthodontists and staff members and this years session was carried out in the beautiful city of Orlando, Florida. It was my first time assisting and I highly recommended it to anyone who has not been. Here is why!
1. The quality of the lectures. Imagine being able to watch the authors of the books and articles you read. Well, I had the honor of listening to many of them and it makes you realize that there are many ways to achieve treatment goals, but you have to keep on learning and be open to new techniques that are followed by studies and long term monitoring.
2. The opportunity to see and buy products. There is an exhibit hall within the convention center where all manufacturers present their orthodontic products, as well as laboratories and anyone wishing to present their product related to the dental field. Attendees have the opportunity to see and buy what they want as well as getting to know the latest technology in the market to improve patient care.
3. Get Continuing Education (CE) Credits. These are credits granted to professionals in their area gained whenever they are part of meetings, courses, webinars, etc., and attending an event like this is no exception by gaining 20 credits.
4. Meet up with Colleagues. It is a great opportunity to meet up with colleagues from all over the world and even meet new ones along the way. In my case, I was able to meet up with my friends with whom I studied my masters in Argentina and shared with them this amazing experience. Definitely, one of the highlights of my trip.
5. Visit a different City. Since it is held in a different city each year, this allows you to travel and visit the attractions each location has to offer. In this particular one, we had the opportunity to go to the emblematic parks of Orlando, which were available for attendees and even do some shopping in our free time.
So, I encourage you to visit the AAO Annual Session next year, which will be in San Diego, California and have an awesome time while learning.
Dra. Gina De Los Santos